port arthur

port arthur

Port Arthur Penitentiary Excavation - ablutions block

1mo ago
SOURCE  

Description

Port Arthur Historic Site undertakes its largest scale excavation behind the famous Penitentiary. When the original 1840s granary and mill building was converted into the settlement’s main penitentiary building between 1853 and 1858, the area at the rear of the building became the ablutions and exercise yard. This was where, according to the historic plans, there were sheltered seats, fireplaces, wash basins and toilets. The archaeological excavations that we will be carrying out between January-March 2016 will be – at nearly 500 m2 – the largest we have ever undertaken. We are stripping the whole area to ensure we collect as much information as possible about the lives of the convicts who were housed here, something that the artefacts will be able to tell us.